Job ID: 3742
The Robert WM Frater Cardiovascular Research Centre at the University of the Free State (UFS) is offering a Postdoctoral fellowship to an exceptional, accomplished young and emerging researcher to conduct research in Clinical Cardiology which will include but is not limited to, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, heart valve disease and epidemiological studies. The selected candidate will reflect the University's equity and diversity imperatives, including those for gender, racial/cultural and intellectual diversity.
The fellowship will enable an outstanding doctoral graduate to obtain experience of research and innovation at a higher education institution under the mentorship of established researchers.
The fellowship is awarded on a competitive basis, taking into account the applicants' academic achievements, publication outputs and research potential, as well as the relevance of prior experience and expertise. The fellowship is available for a period of one year, renewable for up to three years subject to satisfactory performance.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Conduct innovative research in Clinical Cardiology or related clinical studies.
• Author/co-author at least three (3) publication outputs per year in the form of DHET– accredited scholarly journal articles or books/chapters in books. The renewal of the fellowship beyond the first year depends on satisfactory performance and the submission of an annual progress report.
• Support and supervision of PhD and Master students where needed.
• Register and reside as postdoctoral research fellow at the UFS and participate in relevant activities at the Department and the University.
• Open to all South African and foreign nationals for full-time research at the University if the Free State.
• Graduated with a PhD degree in Cardiovascular Physiology or related discipline in the last 5 years.
• Experience in postgraduate supervision, publication, statistical analysis, study coordination and project planning is advantageous.
• Successful applicant will demonstrate exceptional academic performance and intellectual potential.
• Successful applicants will demonstrate potential to contribute to the creation of knowledge in their future academic careers.
• Successful applicants may not hold full-time salaried employment during the fellowship.
• Successful applicants must be able to relocate to the UFS for the duration of the fellowship.
• This is a residential fellowship: the successful applicant is required to spend 80% of her/his postdoctoral period at the UFS.
Value of the fellowship:
• R 220,000 annual fellowship (not taxable).
• R 30,000 additional research expenses fund.
Please include the following in an e-mail to Mr M Hanekom (hanekomHA@Ufs.ac.za):
• Motivation letter, including a 1-2 page outline of relevant expertise and experience.
• Full CV including a list of research publications, conference papers and other scholarly output.
• Full transcripts of academic record and copy of doctoral degree certificate.
• Copy of ID document (or copy of passport in the case of foreign applicants).
• Contact details of two academic referees who have taught/supervised the candidate.
Commencement of fellowship:
As soon as possible but not later than 1 May 2021.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department/division.